When it comes to therapeutic foster care, there are a lot of myths and falsehoods that are untruthfully spread. Common misconceptions that we often see include therapeutic foster parents only in it for the money and that foster youth are irrevocably damaged. In our vast experience, this could not be farther than the truth! The foster families that we work with are bettering lives, and these resilient youth can live happy successful lives! To dispel some of these myths, our therapeutic foster care team has put together a few REAL facts that we hope you join us in sharing:
- Over 400,000 children and youth are in foster care in the United States.
- On April 3rd, 2022, the total number of children and youth in Out of Home Care (OOHC) in Kentucky was 8,838. This incredible number would fill up the Bowling Green Hot Rod Stadium TWICE with a little over 100 children still standing.
- The average age of a child entering foster care is 7.
- 52% of children have the goal of reunification, while 32% have the goal of adoption.
- We are looking for respite providers or those who offer short-term placement to provide a break for both foster parents and now birth parents.
- Children come into our care at no fault of their own.
- You don't have to own a house to become a foster parent. Basic housing methods (including renting) are all accepted, including townhouses, apartments, duplexes, condos, and houses.
- You do not have to be married to foster.
- We welcome all families regardless of sexual orientation, ethnicity, race, etc.
- You do have to be 21 years or older to foster.
- You can work full time and still be a foster and/or respite parent.
- You can have your own children and still foster.
- Training to become a foster parent can take as little as two months.
- Once certified, foster parents receive monthly ongoing training to expand parenting skills.
- YOU can become a foster parent with Bellewood & Brooklawn by calling us toll-free at (855) 460-0990, or you can fill out our simple foster parent request for information, and we'll get in touch with you.
If you are interested in learning more about therapeutic foster parenting, we encourage you to reach out to us today! If not you, then who?